Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Week 36


I'm still feeling good but the Xander man has not turned yet. I went to my OB appointment on monday and have scheduled an external cephalic version for next wednesday morning. This is kind of the last straw before scheduling a c-section, so I really hope that it works. The procedure starts with fetal monitoring for about 30 minutes, then they will give me a utarine relaxant, which oddly will make me feel jittery and make my heart beat fast, according to the doc. Then, they will invert me on my back so my head is down and feet are up. The doc will massage my stomach and ease Xander incrementally into the head-down position, all the while monitoring his heart rate for signs of distress. Dr. Davis claims there is about a 50/50 chance it will work, so I am trying to stay positive about it. Molly, my acupuncturist friend who has been giving me treatments lately, is going to accompany Lyrik and I at the version. Hopefully the acupuncture can ease some of the anxiousness from the utarine relaxant. Molly has also agreed to do acupuncture on me during the birth, which I am excited about. It should help with pain-management and help things go smoothly whatever type of birth I have. There is a tiny chance of complication during an ECV, in which case they may do an emergency c-section. That is why they wait until 37 weeks when the baby is considered full-term. All in all, I am nervous and excited because no matter what, we get our little Xander here in a month or so!

1 comment:

  1. Its so awesome that you are going to have acupuncture during labor! I would have loved to try something like that, I hope it helps lots!

    ReplyDelete